The 5th annual Venture Team Competition hosts the showcase of premier technologies at UCLA, representing leading intellectual property of devices, diagnostics, and therapeutics invented at the university.
Throughout the year, each technology was evaluated by a Business of Science Center's Venture Team of graduate students, post-docs and professional students from science, engineering, business, law, and medicine, with guidance from the inventors as well as mentorship from industry professionals. These teams addressed the early questions about the commercial potential of this technology by analyzing the competitive landscape, investigating potential business models, and identifying hurdles and pathways towards becoming a viable product. The top teams were selected to present their technology and compete for a cash prize in proof-of-concept funding.
These final presentations will be objectively graded from an experienced panel of expert judges in intellectual property, biotechnology, and industry.
Finalists for 2015 Venture Team Competition
- Visualization of Alzheimer's Disease on MRI | PI: Massoud Akhtari | Team: Aaron Cooper, Andrew Cross, and Elizabeth Guenther
- Point-of-Care Device for Kidney Transplantation | PI: Fang Wei | Bianca Gonzalez, Michele Kattke, and Lai Zhang
- Second-Generation Estrogen Receptor Down-Regulators for Medical Therapy | PIs: Richard Pietras & Michael Jung | Team: Courtney Coles, Michael Maland, and Sean Shen
- Small Molecule Suppressors of Cardiac Fibrillation | PI: Jau-Nian Chen | Rory Geoghegan, Christopher Kampmeyer, Joshua Laniado, and Jessica Martinez
- Biofuels: Algae-Based Oil Production Through the Use of a Cell-Free System | PIs: Chih-Ming Ho and Priscilla Zhao | Team: Joseph Hargan Calvopina, Qiming Deng, Elizabeth Guenther, Canybec Sulayman, Jennifer Takasumi, Justine Wang, Allison Yorita, and Kathryn Zavala
ABOUT UCLA Business of Science Center
The mission of the UCLA Business of Science Center is to prepare scientific, engineering, law, medical and business graduate students for careers in the private sector; to assist university faculty and clinicians in technology transfer; and to serve as a catalyst for increased industry support and involvement on campus. We believe this will foster a culture of innovation and will maximize the impact of UCLA research on society.
Go Metro to this event during LA Innovation Week! For your best route, use the Metro Trip Planner or call (323) Go Metro (323.466.3876)
757 Westwood Plz
Tamkin Auditorium B130
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Google map and directions
Back to Calendar